Here you are five good reasons to decide to sleep at anchor:
1) Because we’re on ground all the year. We are always surrounded by cars, traffic, busy and often nervous people. So, it’s the moment to leave both physically and spiritually.
2) It’s cheap. It’s true, harbours and marinas are often welcoming, modern, equipped and they offer the opportunity to visit some wonderful cities but…. they are often too expensive. Recently, Mediterranean coasts have filled with MBM berths. They are a cheap solution for those who are not particularly experienced or if weather conditions are not good. The money saved can be always be spent in a little-known restaurant, in a remote bay.
3) It will make the crew happy. At first, they will say: ” we want cafés, shops, ice-creams…” But, we repeat, they can have them during all the year. When they discover the pleasure of diving in the water in early morning and experiencing unexplored roadsteads and beaches, with no boats around, they will change their mind.
4) Everything is easy if well-organised. Some examples? Instead of refueling at night, when the harbour will be very crowded, it’s better to do it in late morning. No one will be there. The same goes for pantry, cafés and shops.
Experience makes anything easier.
5) Days become longer, time slows down. No stress, no regular schedules: only the metabolism of the “boat-crew-captain” whole and the holiday enters another dimension. What matters is only to have fun and enjoy the environment around us.
This doesn’t mean to stay at anchor all the time and avoid ground. We have to find the right balance between the two elements, the solid and the liquid one. Sleeping at anchor is the best way to enjoy them.
Article also available in: English